Tuesday, December 1, 2009

BLESSED ARE THOSE WHO ...

Blessed are those who keep his testimonies,
Who seek him with their whole heart,
Who also do no wrong,
But walk in his ways!
Psalm 119:2-3

The blessing announced threefold upon those who keep, those seek, and those who do no wrong, declares the certainty of my Lord’s blessings upon such as do these things.

But …
Who are these, that their keeping of His testimonies has brought them the blessing of God, the favor of God?
Who are these that have kept His testimonies, that have kept the Lord's whole counsel of commands, doctrines, and promises?
I must confess that I am not among them, for whatever I have kept of His testimonies; my keeping was but poor and self-seeking.
I must confess that whatever the form of my keeping of the Lord’s testimonies, both the form and my keeping lacked the “always” which the Lord's Law demands of my keeping.
Who are these that seek the Lord with their whole heart?
I must confess again, that I am not among those who have sought the Lord with their whole heart.
For my heart fractured and fragmented at best.
I have no heart that seeks the Lord, for my heart is unable to seek He whose whole heart longs for me.
Even in my seeking of the Lord, my heart’s bondage to sin would allow me to only seek and find a lord of my making.
Inasmuch as my heart is sinful and bound in sin, any seeking on my part would lack the ever required “always.”
And who are these that do no wrong?
Whoever these are, I must again confess that I am not one of them.
For having been conceived and born in sin, I am born wrong and bound to all that is wrong.
Even in the most right thing I might do, my wrongness in sin contaminates it so that in the lens of God’s Law, it, like me, is wrong.
Surely it is only in my wrongness I have achieve the illusive “always.”
Who are these that walk in his ways?
Again I am forced to ask who these are, for I am not among them and no matter the length or pace of my walking, I have never walk “always” in all His ways.
And in all my walking, surely I am "always" tripped up by the iota, the dot of the law that can never pass away.
So I stand before the Lord with my whole unwholesome heart, needing some other word from the Lord lest I perish for lack of blessedness.
In testimony of His love for me, the Lord sends His Testimony to take on my flesh, my life, my living under the Law, my guilt, my condemnation, my punishment, my hell and my death.
Surely it is on the Cross that the Lord Jesus allows Himself to be found among me and my companions of sin, guilt, wrath, and death.
Surely, it is on the Cross that the Lord Jesus willfully and wantingly remains as a companion to me among consequences of my sin.
It is in His Living Testimony – Jesus Christ, that all of God’s testimonies find their constant “Yes!” – For me!” (2 Cor. 1:20-22)
Only in His Living Testimony, in Jesus Christ, will I ever “always” be offered and given His blessedness for “always” keeping God's testimonies, “always” seeking God with His whole heart, “always” doing no wrong, and “always” walking in God's ways.
And if all this were not comforting enough, my Lord does not leave me to acquire all this to myself, but by His Testimony with the water, unites me to His Living Testimony – Jesus Christ.
By uniting me to His Living Testimony, I am by God’s grace, placed in Jesus Christ and I am born of God with a new life and a clean heart.
In His Living Testimony I am given a faith by which I receive and live in Jesus Christ – who has become my Testimony, my Heart, my Doing No Wrong, and my Way – “always!”
How true is that blessed revelation of the Lord that neither I, nor anyone else, lives by bread alone, BUT BY EVERY WORD, EVERY TESTIMONY THAT PROCEEDS FROM THE MOUTH OF THE LORD!

No comments:

Post a Comment