Friday, September 3, 2010

Confessing My Want To Be Worshipped

I don't know how many struggle with this in their walk of faith, but it seems as if many of my struggles with sin come down this truth.  I offer it for your reflection in prayer.

Gracious God in heaven, I confess to you my sin and all its wants and desires I give myself up to.
I confess that I am often consumed with …
my want to be recognized,
my want to be important,
my want to be valued,
my want to be wanted,
my want to be desired,
my want to be affirmed,
my want to matter.
In truth I want to be worshipped and adored.
And I want all these things from worldly sources.
Surely the world would absolve me of this declaring it simply a matter of being human.  Yeah, fallen human!
What is so pathetic about me is that I reject all of these same things that have been demonstrated and purchased for me in Jesus Christ.
In Jesus Christ, God demonstrates his desire, recognition and want of me.
In Jesus Christ, God demonstrates my importance and value to him.
In Jesus Christ, me, my life and my living are adored and affirmed as the most important matter to God.
In Jesus Christ, I find God himself bending and bowing his life and living all the way into death to save me for himself.
What greater act of worship could I ever receive than Jesus Christ.
Yet despite or in spite of all this, my sin manifests itself in that I more crave the worship of the world than this loving and saving worship of God.
In the midst of this reality I bend and bow before you my Lord and my God, confess my sin and asking that, for the sake of Jesus Christ, You would bend, you bow the heavens and forgive your sinful miserable servant.
Cleanse me of my sin and renew a right spirit within me, I want to do better.
I confess and ask all this in the name of Jesus Christ. Amen.

“ … if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus his Son cleanses us from all sin. If we say we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us. If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. John 1:7-9 (ESV)

No comments:

Post a Comment