Thursday, March 31, 2011

A method to ordering thoughts and desires in prayer based on the Litany

“Lord teach us to pray...” Luke 11:1

Prayer is the only thing the disciples ever asked the Lord to teach them.
I don’t know about you, but when I take time to pray, I find that my words and thoughts get somewhat jumbled and gummed up by all the conflicting thoughts, concerns and desires I have for them. Many times, my prayers became a time of frustration as I tried to maintain focus and get all my thoughts together.
As part of my Lenten Journey, I took President Matthew Harrison up on his challenge for us to pray the Litany each morning during Lent. What a blessing this has been, for it revealed to me the way of focused and blessed prayer.

I offer these draft examples of how the Litany has taught me to order my thoughts and desires in prayer for myself, others, the church, etc. In no way do I want you to give up the Litany, as I pray this to conclude my prayers.
 For MY SINS AND MY SINFULNESS -
...that I may be forgiven of my sins of thought, word and deed,
...that I may be cleansed of my guilt;
...that I may by the power of the Spirit amend my life;
...that the old man in me may be drowned and die;
...that that the power of sin be broken in me;
...and that my thinking, my speaking and my actions may be set free to honor and serve God and my neighbor:
    Lord have mercy upon me and graciously forgive me for the sake of Christ. Amen.

For MY FAMILY -
...that they may be protected from all evil;
...that they grow in the Word;
...that they may grow in their faith;
...that the Holy Spirit may sanctify them with His gifts;
...that they may be faithful to the Lord;
...and that each of them may share the love of Christ in all they say and do:
...Lord have mercy upon them and be gracious to them for the sake of Christ. Amen.

For MY CONGREGATION –
...that they may be blessed with a pure preaching and teaching of the Word,
...that they worship the true God in spirit and in truth,
...that they may hunger for and rightly receive the Sacrament of our Lord’s body and blood,
...that they may manifest their faith in the vocations of their lives,
...that they may rightly support the work of the church with their time, their abilities, and their monies,
...and that they may enjoy and share the blessings of being the baptized people of God:
...Lord have mercy upon them and be gracious to them for the sake of Christ. Amen.
 For _______________________________________
... that _______________________________________;
... that _______________________________________;
... that _______________________________________;
... that _______________________________________;
... Lord have mercy upon __________________ and be gracious to ___________________ for the sake of Christ. Amen.

I hope that this method of ordering and expressing your thoughts and desires in prayer may be of benefit to you.
This method has brought me real joy, peace and blessings in my time of prayer.

- pmwl

No comments:

Post a Comment