Thursday, April 4, 2013

The anvil wears the hammers out


“All flesh is like grass and all its glory like the flower of grass. The grass withers, and the flower falls, but the word of the Lord remains forever.” And this word is the good news that was preached to you. 1 Peter 1:24-25 (ESV)

Last eve as I passed the blacksmith’s door,
I heard the anvil ring the vesper chime;
Then looking in, I saw there on the floor
Old hammers, worn away with beating years of time.

“How many anvils have you had,” asked I,
“To wear away these mighty hammers so?”
“Just one,” said he, with twinkling in his eye,
“The anvil wears the hammers out, this I’m sure you know.

And so it is, the blessed anvil of God’s Word,
Skeptics with many hammers, it have beat upon,
Yet, though the noise of mighty blows, surely have been heard,
His anvil is unharmed-how many hammers gone.

Baptized into this anvil, His Word made flesh for me,
I live secure in Him, while life’s hammers pound away.
Hear the mighty blows I must, yet looking to the Cross I see,
He on whom the hammers hit, to save me from their way.

- authored by unknown and pmwl, edited - pmwl

No comments:

Post a Comment