Wednesday, October 21, 2009

AS MY SOUL CLINGS TO THE DUST

My soul clings to the dust;
Give me life according to your word.
Psalm 119:25

The Hebrew word for "cling", could also be translated “cleaves”.
The meaning of this term could be said, “My soul – ‘is joined,’ ‘has adhered,’ ‘has overtaken,’ ‘has taken hold,’ ‘has joined itself’ – to the dust.”
Under the bondage of sin, our soul has become like a polypus, that which is always adhering to the rocks, to things earthly.
So tightly does our sin bound soul cling to the dust that nothing of ourselves or this earth can set us free from the dust.
Because of my sin, I am joined to that which is apart from the Lord. Apart from the Lord, all that I have is that from which I came – the dust. And all that which I am will return, by God’s curse upon my sin – my apartness, to the dust.
Because of my sin, I lack the ability to cling to anything other than those things, which are dust.
So I, with the Psalmist, must cry out for that which none of us can secure for ourselves – GIVE ME LIFE ACCORDING TO YOUR WORD!
Grant me Lord, blessed Lord that which I cannot do or obtain for myself.
SET ME FREE WITH A NEW LIFE THAT COMES FROM YOUR WORD ALONE – JESUS CHRIST – THE WORD MADE FLESH.
This freedom through His Word is the promise of Christ our Lord: “So Jesus said to the Jews who had believed in him, "If you abide in my word, you are truly my disciples, and you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free." John 8:31-32 (ESV)
Though we have been born again in baptism, and our soul is set free in the holiness of Christ – no one can be careless in earthly things, for if you turn to these things in your heart, that is to touch them, you will be adhered to these so strongly that only Christ can set you free.
And so, daily, hourly, aye, from moment to moment and situation to situation, we live by the blessed path of repentance and faith in Jesus Christ.
Aye, faith in Jesus, who out of love – clung joined,’ ‘adhered,’ ‘overtook,’ ‘took hold,’ and ‘has joined Himself’ – to the dust, to us – so that we might have life and have it to the full.
To Him alone be the glory. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment