Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Christ empties Himself to fill my emptiness with His eternal fullness

In this Advent season, we do well to ponder this Christ who has come, is come, and is coming again.
On such point to ponder, I offer you from Ephesians 1:23 “… the fullness of Him who fills all in all.”

Bound in sin, I have no fullness, I am bound in emptiness. Christ empties Himself to fill my emptiness with His eternal fullness. What is my part in this? Repentance and faith! Repentance through which I am emptied of myself and faith that I might receive His filling and fullness. Emptiness and fullness is the echo of Christ’s journey in my salvation and my journey in His salvation.

CHRIST WAS:
Emptied of heaven to fill earth,
Emptied of pure divinity to fill humanity,
Emptied by divine justice to fill us by divine justification,
Emptied of God’s presence to fill us with God’s presence,
Emptied in death to fill us with eternal life,
Emptied from a tomb to fill us with resurrection,
Emptied physically from us to be fully in us spiritually through His Spirit.

WHERE WE ARE:
Emptied by sin, He fills us with His forgiveness.
Emptied by despair, He fills us with His hope.
Emptied by fear, He fills us with His courage.
Emptied by rejection, He fills us with His invitation.
Emptied by pride, He fills us with His humility.
Emptied by perversions of thought, He fills us with His pure and holy thinking.
Emptied by the words of others or our own, He fills us with His Words of eternal life.
Emptied by weakness, He fills us with His strength.
Emptied by death, He fills with life ever-lasting.
In Christ, we have no fullness that His emptiness cannot receive.
In Christ, we have no emptiness that His fullness He cannot so fill that our cups, our lives shall surely run over.

pmwl

No comments:

Post a Comment