Thursday, March 26, 2009

SEVEN ABOMINATIONS IN MY HEART

I find to this day seven abominations in my heart:
1. An inclination to unbelief.
2. Suddenly forgetting the love and mercy that Christ shows us.
3. A leaning to the works of the Law.
4. Wanderings and coldness in prayer.
5. Forgetting to watch for that which I have prayed for.
6. A tendency to murmur because I have no more, and yet a willingness
to abuse what I have.
7. I can do none of those things which God commands me, but my
corruptions will thrust themselves upon me so that “When I would do
good, evil is present with me.”

These things I continually see and feel and am afflicted and oppressed with; yet the wisdom of God in Jesus Christ, orders them for my good.
1. They make me abhor myself as the sinner.
2. They keep me from trusting my heart.
3. They convince me of the insufficiency of all my own inherent
righteousness.
4. They show me the necessity of always and ever flying to Jesus for my
hope, love and peace.
5. They press me to seek and pray to God.
6. They show me the need I have to watch and be sober.
7. And they provoke me to look to God, through Christ, to help me and
carry me through each day through this world. Amen.

–John Bunyan

No comments:

Post a Comment