Thursday, August 26, 2010

My Thoughts On Why I Use My Freedom in Christ To Flee This Freedom

When one hears and receives God’s saving grace in Jesus Christ that person is recreated in Baptism with the full freedom from the wrath of God, from works so as to maintain God’s good favor, and the full freedom to be a child of God in the image of Jesus Christ. The question that always arises in my mind is why am I am so quick to choose one of two other paths rather than live this freedom.
The first path that I often choose is to reject this grace and live the way of works. The second path that I often chose is to take this grace for granted and live as if there is no living relationship with the Lord and with His body the Church. The Son of God did not set me free for the purpose of journeying on either these paths, and I would have no freedom to choose them if I were not also set free to journey upon path of eternal life through faith in Jesus Christ.
Surely my sinful nature and Satan work ceaselessly to me entice me to either the path of works or that of taking grace for granted so that I might be bound away from the path of life in Christ alone. So how do these entice and tempt me? 
The various means by which I am ceaselessly enticed and tempted are driven and perpetuate the common illusion that I am the center and purpose of all my living and journeys. If I am the center and purpose, then I am justified in all my struggles, my failings, my faults, my weaknesses, my guilt, my desires, etc. to removed myself and any anything or anyone else them from their proper place under the sovereign grace of God and place me under my own power and abilities. Thus, by this illusion, I am moved by my sinful pride from my proper place under Christ and His Cross, so that I might become my own savior, with the right to save myself, my desires, my peace and all other such things.
Surely the quickness with which I so often flee from path of eternal freedom in Christ arises from the fact that this path is continuously lined with crosses to the right and the left. None of these crosses are there for the purpose of my death under God’s wrath, but for the purpose of my living the freedom Christ has won for me.
To journey upon this path of grace is to live my baptism which began with my dying in Christ’s cross and then being resurrected in His resurrection. This being my beginning, then my living and journeying in the freedom of Christ will make each step I take in faith begin with the cross/death in me and ends with the resurrection of Christ through me.
Living this freedom of Christ through faith is nothing less than following the path of Christ beyond the dinners, the weddings, the synagogue meetings He attended and even the miracles He did – on to the Cross and then on the resurrection as He would manifest through me in this world.
Such is what Christ calls the narrow way, it is hard, yet it leads to eternal life.
Lord I believe, as You have journeyed the narrow way for me and even now carry me upon this way, help my unbelief that I may be found in You who are the way and the truth and the life for me.

In the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit. Amen.

1 comment:

  1. Well said Pastor Love.

    It is imposible to see the big picture when we put ourselves at the center of the picture !

    ReplyDelete