Thursday, December 9, 2010

O LORD, I AM EMPTY – LEND ME....

An Advent prayer according to our emptiness and the fullness our Lord brought, brings today, and will bring.

O Lord, You and You alone are full, and the fullness of all that was, is, and ever will be.
O Lord, I am empty of all that is good and by myself can only remain empty.
O Lord, I have a fullness, that fills my every thought, word, and deed with what is sin and vice.
O Lord, of my sinful fullness, I cannot ever make myself empty of it.
O Lord, You allowed Yourself to be filled with the fullness of my sin so that my fullness might be emptied by the fullness of God’s wrath against me and my fullness.
O Lord, You emptied Yourself of Your fullness that You might meet me in my emptiness and there fill me with Yourself.
O Lord, empty me of my sinful fullness that I might be filled with You.
O Lord, even in their perfection, Adam and Eve were created to live as borrowers of all things, Your image, life, and all that Your perfect creation provided for them.
O Lord, being so empty in sin, how much more must I surely borrow from You, if I am to be full.
O Lord, lend me Your goodness, for I have no goodness of my own that works good in all things.
O Lord, lend me Your truth, for I have no truth of my own that is eternal truth.
O Lord, lend me Your love, for I have no love of my own that is a saving love.
O Lord, lend me Your wisdom, for I have no wisdom of my own that is proved by its children.
O Lord, lend me Your passion and death, for I my passion and death is not sufficient for my sin.
O Lord, lend me Your life, for I have no life of my own that lives in God my Redeemer.
O Lord, lend me Your Word, for I have no words of my own that speak of God my Savior.
O Lord, lend me Your grace, for I have no ability of my own to do that which is necessary to be right with God – Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.
O Lord, lend my prayer the name of Jesus so that it might acceptable and pleasing in Your sight. Amen.

- pmwl

No comments:

Post a Comment