Monday, March 10, 2014

Lest I stagger away from You, as a blind man from his rescuer and guide.

"Open my eyes, that I may behold wondrous things out of your law." Psalm 119:18

Lord have mercy, and open my eyes.
I confess my blindness in the hearing of Your Word.
Surely my ears may hear Your words,
But I see nothing in the hearing.
Surely I may know the words You speak,
Yet I have no spiritual sight.

Because it is Your Word,
It teems with great and wondrous treasures it bestows on the one who is given sight;
Awesome and awful are the marvels and wonders it works on the one who is able to see;
Many are the miracles it bears and brings to the one who is made to see;
Multitudes of mysteries does it reveal to the one who is given eyes to see;
Sacred secrets are unveiled to the one who is given vision;
And eternal life and living it births and sustains in the one who is enabled to look.

Yet, being conceived and born in sin,
I am blind, and am powerless of myself,
To have any sight and seeing in Your Word.

Have mercy Lord, and open my eyes.
As you opened the eyes of man born blind,
So open my eyes that the wonderful works of God may be displayed in my life.

My lack of vision is not due to any obscurity in Your Word,
I do not ask that You make Your Word simpler or plainer,
I pray have mercy and open my eyes,
That I may see the simple and plain truth
of You and Your steadfast love for me.

Blessed Lord, You asked the two blind men outside Jericho, (Mk 10)
“What would you have me do for you?”
The prayer of both was the same as mine:
“Lord, let our eyes be opened.”
And yet, O Lord, I would beg more of You,
Where You provide the privilege of sight,
Let me never neglect this privilege,
Nor what You show me in Your Word,
Lest I stagger away from You,
as a blind man from his rescuer and guide.

Blessed Lord, have mercy,
I place my eyes and my prayer in Christ,
and pray, open my eyes. Amen.

pmwl


No comments:

Post a Comment