Wednesday, February 13, 2013

He is able to read the text of our tears


“Depart from me, all you workers of evil, for the Lord has heard the sound of my weeping.” 
Psalms 6:8

Who are these workers of evil? It is all those that are turned away from God, be it the Devil or the unbelieving sinner. St. Paul, an apostle no less, says that the works of evil that kept rising up and taking him captive, was sin that still lived in him. Our weeping over them, over what they do to us, over what they lead us to do to other, or what others have done to us -is the call of our heart, not our mouth and this the Lord alone hears, understands and responds in His loving mercy and forgiveness.
In what language does weeping convey its meaning? It is the language of the heart and it is universal. Weeping is the honest conversation of sorrow. Mankind never fully understands this conversation, whether it be the weeping of others or ourselves. And even if we could understand weeping’s conversation, we are powerless to answer it.
Yet, there is one who understands the conversation, the petitions of our weeping: “the LORD has heard the sound of my weeping.” He who wept, is intimately fluent in the language of weeping and responds in mercy.
What blessed comfort is this in our sorrows, that our Lord hears the honest pleas of our weeping with the ears of mercy.
What easing of our sorrows that He is able to read the texts of our tears.
Each of our tears is an eloquent orator putting before the Lord the truthfulness of our sorrow and all that we are in our sorrow. Putting before Him our helplessness, and He who made Himself helpless for us on the Cross, responds with nothing less than the heaven sent help of God's forgiveness that gives us the victory over all our sorrows and their cause.
Even in our weeping, when words fail us, we can say with all confidence: “In my distress I called upon the LORD; to my God I cried for help. From His temple He heard my voice, and my cry to Him reached His ears.” Psalms 18:6
Gracious Lord, I give You thanks that when evil arises within me or without, You have the ears to hear words of my prayer and the words of my weeping. Let your mercies bear me up through my sorrows and my struggles, “because You, O Lord, are good and forgiving, abounding in steadfast love to all who call upon You.” Psalm 86:5

The peace of the Lord be with you always.

 -pmwl

No comments:

Post a Comment