Tuesday, February 19, 2013

My inner arena in which the desires of my flesh are set against the desires of the Spirit…


To you, O Lord, I lift up my soul. Ps 25:1 (ESV)

My soul! My soul!
My inner battleground where the war between my sinful nature and my new nature in Christ is waged.
My inner battlefield where the law of my members wages its war against the law of mind, taking me captive to the sin that lives within my members (Rm 7:23)
My inner arena in which the desires of my flesh are set against the desires of the Spirit and the desires of the Spirit are set against those of my flesh so that I am unable to do as I want (Gal 5:17-18).
My inner place where the paradox of being a sinner and a saint lives in almost unbearable unresolved tension and conflict.
My soul, my wretched soul, who will rescue you from me, from my conflict, from my sin?
He who has become my soul!
He who has become my life!
He who has become my forgiveness in the midst of my guilt.
He who has become my peace in the conflicts of my soul.
He who has become my joy in my defeats and despair.
He who on His Cross entered every war, every battle within me so that He might take both me and my losses to Himself.
He who, having fought all my battles and won every war, now gives to me His soul and with it, the safety and security of His victory.
He who promises never to leave me, nor forsake me or my soul.
He, who having begun this good work in me, will bring it to completion for me and my soul at His coming again.
My Lord! My Lord! Precious anchor for my soul (Hb 6:19), to You I lift up, to You I give the keeping of my soul and me.

The Lord is good to those who wait for him, to the soul who seeks him.   Lm 3:25 (ESV)

- pmwl

No comments:

Post a Comment