Sunday, February 17, 2013

Only the damned know they are forsaken


My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?    Ps 22:1 (ESV)

Who has not felt and sensed what these words speak. In all that they may have seen and experienced, hasn't everyone at one time or another believed themselves forsaken. How often do circumstances and sensations overwhelm me and all seems to provide the clearest of evidence that God has forsaken me.
Yet in all that I may experience, in all that I may feel or sense, I cannot truthfully speak these words while I am yet on this side of the grave.
Was I not conceived and born in sin, 
isn’t my reason still tainted by sin, 
aren’t all my senses still tainted by sin, 
and am I not still a sinner through I be redeemed?
With the answer to each of these being yes, all that I do experience, I experience in darkness, the deep darkness of sin. Thus I cannot know myself truly forsaken.
Only the damned know themselves forsaken. 
And in the darkness, the deep darkness of sin, there is one who stands with me, one who stands in my place, one who stands for me.
He has entered into my darkness, my deepest darkness to be damned for me, to cry out for me, to finish for me all possibility of God ever forsaking me.  
He is the Son of God and He has become a light for me that my darkness can never overcome (Jn 1:5 & 9).
He is Jesus Christ and He has come into the world to save me, a sinner (1 Tm 1:15).
He is God my Savior and He will never leave me nor forsake me (Hb 13:5).

Bless the Lord, O my soul, and all that is within me, bless his holy name!
Bless the Lord, O my soul, and forget not all his benefits, who forgives all your iniquity, who heals all your diseases, who redeems your life from the pit, who crowns you with steadfast love and mercy,
who satisfies you with good so that your youth is renewed like the eagle’s.
Ps 103:1-5 (ESV)

- pmwl 

No comments:

Post a Comment