Friday, March 15, 2013

A litany in my temptation

O Lord, have mercy upon me.
O Christ, have mercy upon me.
O Lord, have mercy upon me. 

Lord God, Limiter of temptations beyond my abilities,
Lord God, Provider of a way out of temptations, 
For the sake of Jesus Christ, hear my prayer. 

From all thoughts and thinking that would lead to temptation; 
From all desires that lead into temptation;
From all wants that give rise to any temptation; 
From all temptation to please and pleasure my sinful nature;
From my weakness of flesh before all temptation; 
From all bondage that sin and its temptation have on me; and
From all justifications to give into any temptation,
Lord have mercy, deliver, defend and protect me. 

From all images that would tempt me;
From all words that would tempt me;
From all places where I would be most tempted, and 
From all persons would tempt me
Lord have mercy, deliver, defend and protect me. 

Blessed Lord Jesus Christ,
Sympathetic Savior and Champion over all temptation,
For the sake of Your victory over all temptation, hear my prayer. 

By Your suffering temptation from Satan;
By Your suffering temptation from those You love;
By Your suffering temptation in all the walks and ways of Your life;
By Your suffering temptation in the hour of death; and 
By Your suffering temptation in every way I am tempted,
Lord have mercy upon me in all times of temptation.

By Your victory over every temptation with which I am tempted;
By Your faithfulness to God and to me over every temptation;
By Your suffering and death for all my succumbing to temptation; and
By Your sympathizing with me in all temptation, 
Lord have mercy upon me and gracious to me.

Gracious God our heavenly Father, 
Sender of Your Son into all temptations with which I am tempted, 
Have mercy upon me and hear my prayer.

In all forms of my temptation;
In all conditions of my temptation;
In all degrees of my temptation; 
In all times of my doubts that give rise to temptation;
In all times of my fear in the face of temptation;
In all times of my want to give into temptation; 
In all times of my apathy in the face of temptation; 
In all times of my frustration because of constant temptation; 
In all times of my selfishness that leads me into temptation; and 
In all times of my trouble because we have given into temptation,
Have mercy upon me, grant me Your aid and lead me not into temptation.

Gracious God, Father, Son and Holy Spirit,
Knower of all my temptations and Limiter of them, 
Have mercy upon me and hear my prayer. 

For ears to hear Your Word in the face of all temptation;
For a heart to believe Your Word in face of all temptation;
For the sanctifying work of the Holy Spirit to move me into Your will in every temptation, 
For the inspiration of the Holy Spirit to what is godly in all my thoughts, words, desires and deeds;
For the Holy Spirit’s intercession in all my feeble prayers in the face of every temptation;
For the Holy Spirit to renew my strength that I may not grow weary in the face of constant temptation; 
For the Holy Spirit to enlighten me that the victory over every temptation is found in Jesus Christ alone; 
And that I may be forgiven for all my times of entertaining temptations and my surrendering to them into sin,
I implore You to have mercy and help me, Good Lord.

O God the Father, Blessed Creator, 
Have mercy upon me and hear my prayer.
O God the Son, Jesus Christ, Blessed Redeemer,
Have mercy upon me and hear my prayer.
O God the Holy Spirit, blessed Sanctifier,
Have mercy upon me and hear my prayer. 
Amen. 

- pmwl

No comments:

Post a Comment