Friday, March 29, 2013

Seven Abominations in my heart


As I come to the Cross this Good Friday, I come confessing these truths from which I must daily be saved:

"I find seven abominations in my heart:
1. An inclination to unbelief.
2. Suddenly to forget the love and mercy of Christ manifested for me.
3. A leaning on works of the Law rather than the grace of God.
4. Wanderings and coldness in prayer.
5. To forget to watch for what I pray for.
6. An apt to murmur because I do not have more, yet ready to abuse what I have.
7. I can do none of those things which the Lord commands me, but my corruptions thrust themselves in upon me. When I want to do good, evil is right there with me."

Lord have mercy on me, 
and grant that I would wholly believe the word of Christ on the Cross, "It is finished!" 
As I leave the Cross and make my way on to the resurrection of the Lord, I go with this truth enlightening my way: 

"These things I continually see and feel and am afflicted and oppressed with,
but the wisdom of God works and orders all these for my good.
1. They make me abhor myself.
2. They keep me from trusting my own heart.
3. They convince me of the insufficiency of my own righteousness.
4. They show me my need to constantly flee to Jesus.
5. They press me to pray to the Lord.
6. They show me my need to watch and be sober.
7. They so provoke me to pray to God through Jesus Christ to help me, and carry me through this world."
Grace Abounding  - John Bunyan

Lord have mercy on me, 
and grant that I may be still and know that You are God. 

- pwml 

1 comment: