Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Exercising myself in faith has two disciplines,


And a voice came out of the cloud, saying, “This is my Son, my Chosen One; listen to him!” Lk 9:35 (ESV)

The growth of my spiritual life, O my soul,
Is impossible without the disciplined practice of faith.
For such discipline in faith,
is the hidden side of faithful discipleship. 
Exercising myself in faith has two disciplines,
The first of which is the receiving of the Lord through His Word,
And the second, is responding according to that Word I have received from Him.
This alone, serves to make me even more sensitive
to the seemingly small, soft voice of the Lord.
Elijah did not meet the Lord in the mighty wind,
in the earthquake or in the fire,
but in the still small voice. (I Kings 19:9--13) 
Practice faith’s two disciplines, O my soul,
Do not seek to comprehend the Word of the Lord,
Do not seek to apply the Word the Lord speaks,
But listen, O my soul,
listen to His voice, listen to His Word,
For it is in His voice, His word,
That He gives You His Holy Spirit.  
And it is His Spirit alone,
Who shall comprehend His Word for you,
His Spirit alone
Who shall apply and work His Word in you,
So that you shall have ears to hear
and a heart to believe in Him.
For faith comes from hearing,
and hearing from the Word of Christ. (Rm 10:17)  

- pmwl

No comments:

Post a Comment