Saturday, March 9, 2013

lest I give into the presumptions of my sinful nature ...


Keep back your servant also from presumptuous sins; let them not have dominion over me!  Ps 19:13 (ESV)

Such is my prayer, O my soul,
For there is in me, that is in my sinful nature prone to presume much.
Surely my sinful nature presume me to be innocent,
And if be not innocent, my sinful nature assumes that it is someone else’s fault, even God.
Having owned my guilt,
having owned my sin,
having owned that I am by nature sinful and unclean,
And having been completely forgiven of it all,
by God’s free grace
for the sake of Jesus Christ,
my sinful nature would have me to presume,
that because forgiveness is free,
I am free to do as I please, be it sinful or otherwise.
Let it not be O Lord,
lest by my sinful presumptuous sin, my deliberate sin,
I find no sacrifice for my sins (Hb 10:29).
Keep me back O Lord from presumptuous sins,
lest I have to live with a fearful expectation of judgment,
with a fury that shall consume Your adversaries (Hb 10:27).
Keep me back O Lord, from presumptuous sins,
lest I spurn the Son of God,
lest I profane the blood of the covenant that has sanctified me,
lest I outrage the Spirit of grace (Heb 10:29).
Let my sins and my sinful presumptions not have dominion over me, O Lord,
lest I be made to fall into Your Living hands, O God (Heb 10:32).
Having put me, and all that is mine into the hands of Christ on the Cross,
so that my name is engraved there (49:16),
having united me, and all that is mine into the hands, into Christ Himself,
keep me back, hold me back,
lest I give into the presumptions of my sinful nature,
and take myself into my own hands and my own destruction.
Keep me back and make known to me the path of life,
For in your presence there is fullness of joy,
Fullness of a good outcome,
And at Your right hand are pleasures forever more (Ps 16:11).
My times are in your hand,
rescue me from the hand of my enemies,
the presumptions of my sinful nature (Ps. 31:15).
Rather than falling into Your hand, O Lord,
Into Your hand I commit my spirit;
You have redeemed me;
O Lord, Faithful God (Ps 31:5).

- pmwl 


No comments:

Post a Comment