Monday, March 4, 2013

My sins occur when I stop being His creation,


Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; 6 in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight.  Do not be wise in your own eyes; fear the LORD and shun evil.  This will bring health to your body and nourishment to your bones.
   Proverbs 3:5-8

If my understanding is correct, of Luther’s understanding of God and man’s relationship to God it is set down for me like this:

Let God be the God that he is, and let me and all mankind be what we are, creatures and not Gods.

Sin is my attempt to be other than I am – God. 
I do this because my sin has bound me to distrust my Creator 
and thus proceed to make decisions and take actions that are not mine, as a creature, to make or take.
In Jesus Christ, I find a man without sin. 
Why?  Because Jesus never assumed a role or responsibility that was not His. 
He was perfect in His manhood because He lived the life of a man,
as man was to live it,
and died the death of a man. 
Just like everyone else who was created in this flesh,
Jesus lived by the rules of the flesh (God’s Law)
and lived them so closely that as all flesh must die, so Jesus also died – as my substitute.
In the cross of Christ I find God in man, living, suffering and dying like all men and women do,
not just to take it away, but to give and fill all suffering and death with purpose and blessing. 
In Baptism, God the Holy Spirit comes, and by the grace of God,
puts Jesus’ death to me, and His death to the power of my sinful nature,
and created in me a new life that is pleased and rejoices to be a new creature in Jesus Christ. 
This new life of mine is lived only by faith in Jesus Christ,
faith that believes and knows not the outcome of any event or day,
but faith that believes that God is at work in all of them making them serve my welfare (Rm 8:28).
This faith gives me joy, because it assures me of a good outcome, whether for life here or death.
The way of living this new life in Christ is found in the Word of God, the law of God. 
The law then becomes not just rules and regulations,
but the signs that point the way for me to be what God created, redeemed and recreated me to be.
By the grace of God I am given a new life,
and I am enabled to be a new creation in the midst of God’s old creation. 
It is by faith in God being God,
and being God in me through Jesus Christ,
that I live out my new life in the day to day activities.
My sins occur when I stop being His creation,
created to serve God and all of creation
and start attempting to be God. 
This flows from my sinful heart that refuses to let me be a mere creature,
A sinful heart that refuses to let the true God, Father, Son and Holy Spirit –
be my God, accomplish His will for me, and accomplish His will through me.
When you and I let God be God,
That is when I seek first His Kingdom  –
He and His will fills everything I am,
purifying me of everything in me that is unrighteous,
And give me eternal life.  
By the grace of God,
I as a believer have been brought into a faith relationship with Jesus Christ. 
In this relationship my Lord Jesus brings me God as He really is
and makes me as Jesus really is through Baptism. 
In this relationship I live by letting Jesus be Jesus,
Letting Jesus be THE Way for me, THE Truth for me, and THE Life for me.

- pmwl

No comments:

Post a Comment